Susan Wyatt, The Pet Dish 6:59 p.m. PDT August 25, 2014
Small dog(Photo: Trupanion)
While small dogs typically have long life spans, they also are prone to a number of unique health problems.
The folks at Trupanion, a medical insurance provider for cats and dogs, looked into its database to find the top five health conditions that affect small dogs more frequently than large dog breeds.
1. Medial Luxating Patella - common in Pomeranians, Chihuahuas, and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
2. Intervertebral Disk Disease (IVDD) - often affects Dachshunds and French Bulldogs
3. Pancreatitis - common in Miniature Pinschers and Dachshunds
4. Conditions relating to the eyes - common in Cocker Spaniels and Pomeranians
5. Conditions relating to the mouth - common in Pugs and Pomeranians
Small dogs can often become injured jumping from the couch or out of their owner's arms. This is especially true with puppies, whose tiny limbs are still growing.
"All dog owners should be diligent in monitoring their pup's health," said Kerri Marshall, DVM, Trupanion's Chief Veterinary Officer. "While we can't prevent some of these common conditions from occurring, we can prepare for them."
Dr. Marshall recommends pet owners take their pet to the veterinarian if they notice any abnormal signs - whether that be a limp or bad breath - and treat conditions early.
"Medical insurance for your small dog can help you financially prepare for any injury or illness your dog may have throughout the course of their life. With how costly these common conditions can be, insurance can eliminate that financial burden, and allow them to get the best care." Dr. Marshall said.
Read or Share this story: http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/the-pet-dish/2014/08/25/health-conditions-small-dog-breeds/14600221/